For some scanning devices after not being used for a time, the USB port "goes to sleep" to conserve power. In other cases, because the scanning device demands more power to transfer large data it will take front seat to any other USB port causing the Geomagic not to see the USB dongle.
Computers now have the ability to to control the conservation of power to the USB ports. Here are some steps to adjust this for Windows7 machines only.
1. Go to your control panel and select Harware and Sound.
2. Select Power Options
3. Set the power options to High performance.
4. Select Change plan settings.
5. Then click Change advance power settings.
6. Expand the USB select suspending settings and disable it.
Changing this setting will keep all USB ports active at all times.